For years, my parents’ garage door had been sagging in the middle and was getting harder to lift. I decided it was time I gave fixing it a try to save them money on repairs. While I had no experience with garage door repairs, how hard could it be? Here’s what I learned from the process.

Signs it Needed Fixing

There were a few obvious signs the door was ready for a repair. In addition to sagging in the middle, there was also some rust accumulating on the rollers and hinges. It was taking more force than normal to lift the door all the way up. The door tracks also looked bent in spots which I knew wasn’t a good sign. After watching some YouTube videos, I realized the springs needed replacing as that was likely the root cause of the sagging.

Gathering Supplies

Armed with the knowledge that I needed new springs and rollers, I headed to the hardware store to pick up the necessary parts. Thankfully, they had everything I needed in stock. I opted for a standard set of extension springs rather than torsion springs since those seemed more complex. I also grabbed lubricant for the tracks, bearings for the rollers, and extra bolts just in case. The total cost was around $150 which was still less than a professional repair.

Installing the Springs

This is where things got tricky. Removing the old springs was no problem but installing the new ones required more muscle than I expected. Getting all the coils aligned perfectly while also hooking them to the door bracket was much harder than it looked online. At one point, a spring flew off the track and hit me in the shoulder! After an hour of struggling, I finally got them on correctly.

Adjusting and Aligning

Once the springs were in place, I moved onto adjusting the tension using a wrench. This allowed me to lift the door smoothly without it sagging. Alignment was also crucial, so I took my time adjusting the rollers and tracks. At one point, I noticed the tracks were really warped near the ground so I had to call a professional for Garage Door Repair in Glen Allen to come bend them back into shape properly.

Finishing Touches

After getting the tracks fixed, the rest went smoothly. I lubricated all the moving parts, replaced worn out bearings, and tightened any loose hardware. A fresh coat of paint on the door panels really made it look brand new. The best part was testing it out – the door lifted smoothly without any sticking. It was so satisfying seeing my work pay off!

Lessons Learned

While challenging, I’m glad I took on this DIY project. Not only did I save money over a repair shop, but I learned so much about garage door components and maintenance. I now understand why professionals have special tools for tension adjustment and spring installation. In the future, I may still attempt minor repairs myself but won’t be afraid to call in the experts for major issues. Thanks to this experience, I feel confident keeping the door in good shape for years to come.